Saturday, March 22, 2014

Lucky Strike!: Up-cycled Bowling Pin Accent Pieces


I’ve had these beat up bowling pins lying around the house for a few years now. I always new I would somehow re-vamp them and give them a new, fabulous life. Two years later… I finally did it, and they look great! This project is super easy, dirt cheap and oh-so-satisfying. I am so happy with how they turned out.
These little guys had seen their last game at the local bowling alley, and were going to be thrown away so they were given to us for free! All you have to do is ask, and the worst they can say is no (that’s when you wait until after hours and dig them out of the dumpster…. I’m totally kidding… sort of). I just knew I could use them for some awesome project, so I finally decided to re-paint them and use them as accent pieces! 
Here is what you will need:
Bowling pins (your best bet is to ask around at local bowling alleys, but you can find them on ebay if you need to)
Gold spray-paint (I used rust-oleum spray paint from Orchard Hardware Suppy)
Black acrylic paint
A thin paint brush

Take your pins outside (don’t try and do this indoors because of the fumes, not to mention the mess) and stand them upright. Spray them lightly from top to bottom, one coat at a time. I did about 3 coats, making sure the logos were covered. The only exception was the neck of the bowling pins. I kept the coat of gold a little light so I could just use the original stripes as guidelines for the new black stripes. Let the pins dry outside for at least an hour before handling. Using black, matte acrylic paint, I free-hand painted two new black stripes on the neck of my pins. If you don’t trust your hand to be steady enough, just tape off the outer lines of the stripes, paint, and carefully remove the tape.
Done!
Two re-vamped bowling pin accent pieces in under 2 hours!
xoxo - Sugar Dame





No comments:

Post a Comment