Thursday, April 10, 2014

Halfway Homemade: Vegetarian Black Bean Soup


I’m not a huge fan of being cold…but I LOVE cold weather. All snuggled up at home, doing something recreational, and eating something warm and delicious. That is where this recipe came from. Last night was a really chilly night! I got into my jammies, did some crafty stuff, and made this yummy soup. I used a soup starter for the base, and added my own veggies to suit my taste. The base is just mildly spicy, which is my preference, but you can always add some jalapeno or hot sauce to turn up the heat. 
Here is what you will need:
Tortilla soup base (I used Pacific Organic Soup Starters)
1/2 a white onion, diced
1 can of black beans (unsalted)
1 tblsp. olive oil
2 roma tomatoes, diced
2 each: sweet mini red pepper, mini yellow pepper and mini orange pepper, diced
1 ripe avocado
Sour cream
Hot sauce
Tortilla chips


Start by warming the olive oil in a small sauce pan on med-low heat. Add in the diced onion and peppers and saute until soft. Pour in your can of black beans, and add your diced tomato. Pour in about 2 cups of your soup starter (About half of the container. Save the rest for another day!).  Let the soup simmer, uncovered for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. The soup will thicken quite a bit, if it is too thick you can add some more of the liquid soup base. Ladle into soup bowls, top with sliced avocado, a dollop of sour cream, a bunch of tortilla chips and a few drops of hot sauce if desired.
This soup will warm you right up! Enjoy!
xoxo - Sugar Dame

No comments:

Post a Comment