Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Try This: Cold Oatmeal with Rhubarb Mash and Apple Sauce


Last December, the hubbs and I traveled to Australia…. it was amazing! I did a lot of sightseeing, and my favorite thing to do anywhere… EAT! There were so many amazing coffee shops/cafes on every street, each one with a completely different menu from your run-of-the-mill coffee joint. I had been eating so many delicious pastries for breakfast, that I decided I’d better go with some healthy breakfast fare at least one day. (You know, because eating a healthy breakfast one day in between 10 days of treats totally evens things out. Yeah. Right.)
Anyway, I’m really glad that I did because I found a really delicious way to eat oatmeal that I never even considered. When my order arrived, it came with a side if milk, yogurt with berries, and was topped with applesauce and some kind of rhubarb mash.  I waited a few minutes to dig in so I wouldn’t burn my mouth… which I found was a wasted show of discipline. The oatmeal was cold! It was also reaallllyyyy good. Everything was just lightly sweet, and the flavors perfectly complimented each other. I took the memories back with me and have reconstructed the recipe to share.
**I recommend making your oatmeal and rhubarb mash a day ahead and storing them in the fridge. 
Here’s how you can make it at home:
1-2 cups Quick oats (or more depending on how many servings you need)
Blueberries
Greek yogurt
Unsweetened applesauce
Rhubarb mash (see recipe below)
Milk 
For the rhubarb mash/jam
In a saucepan, combine the rhubarb, sugar, orange zest, orange juice and water. Bring to a boil, then cook over medium-low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thick. It will thicken more as it cools. 
  • 1 1/4 pounds fresh rhubarb, chopped
  • 1 cups white sugar
  • 1 teaspoons grated orange zest
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup water
Ladle into hot sterile jars, and seal with lids and rings. Store in the refrigerator.
For the oatmeal:
Whip up a batch of your favorite quick oats following the directions on the container, and store in the fridge for the morning. 
When you are ready to eat, spoon some oatmeal into a bowl, top with a dollop of rhubarb mash and a dollop of unsweetened applesauce. Pour a splash of milk over the top. Serve with a side of greek yogurt, studded with ripe blueberries.
ENJOY! 
xoxo - Sugar Dame

No comments:

Post a Comment