Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Snack Attack: Black Bean Nachos with Roasted Heirloom Tomatoes


I love to snack. I see myself as a professional of sorts. I pride myself in my ability to modify snack-time favorites, turning them into healthier (and in my opinion, tastier) guilt-free mini meals. When you think of nachos, you’re probably picturing a heaping, greasy plate of tummy trouble. Delicious, yes. Nutrient dense, no.
This recipe is easy to throw together, but doesn’t skimp on flavor. Here’s what you will need:

Veggie and Flax Seed Tortilla Chips from Trader Joe’s. (If you can’t find these, unsalted, whole-grain tortilla chips are a great alternative.)
Unsalted black beans, canned.
Whole kernel corn, canned.
Mini heirloom tomatoes
Fat free sour cream
Shredded cheese
Avocado
Hot sauce

Start by slicing about 1/2 cup heirloom tomatoes. Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a small skillet over low heat, until soft.  Spread your chips out on a microwave-safe plate. Top with 1/4 unsalted black beans and 1/4 cup corn, and sauteed tomatoes. Top with a sprinkle of shredded cheese. Microwave for about 1 minute, until chips are warm and cheese is melted. Immediately top with a few dollops of sour cream, sliced avocado and hot sauce if desired.  Enjoy immediately.
Happy Snacking!
xoxo - Sugar Dame



No comments:

Post a Comment