Thursday, June 12, 2014

Be Your Own Barista: Honey Iced Latte

I have a problem. An obsession.... with caffeinated iced beverages. I love, love, love my iced coffees and lattes. I am pretty picky too. I like my iced coffees to not be too strong, a tad bit sweet (just a tad!), and lots of milk (preferably almond). I need to confess that I probably spend too much money on fancy coffees and, in all honesty, they never get it quite right (I told you I'm picky!). I seem to go through this every so often: Buying too many on-the-go coffee treats before coming to the conclusion that I should just make them at home. Hey, if you want something done right, do it yourself.

I felt like having a dreamy, creamy, frothy concoction so I whipped out my mini espresso machine (under $100 on Amazon.com!). I brewed two shots of espresso, organic honey, almond milk, ice and foam :) to create a perfectly sweet concoction.



Here's what you will need:


  • About 2 tblsps. ground espresso or ground coffee. Enough to make two shots. 
  • About 1 cup of milk of your choice ( I use almond)
  • 1 tsp of organic honey
  • Ice

How to:

  1. If you have an espresso machine, great, if not you can substitute coffee. Brew two shots of espresso or hot coffee. 
  2. Stir in your organic honey and dissolve in your hot espresso by stirring with a spoon. Once your honey is dissolved, refrigerate until cool.
  3. While your coffee is cooling, make some foam with your espresso machine. This step adds a nice, creamy topper to your iced coffee. If you don't have an espresso machine or your machine does not have the wand attachment, you can skip this step. 
  4. Fill a glass with ice, pour in your desired amount of milk, pour in your shots of espresso, and spoon some foam over the top.

This latte was perfect! Dairy-free, lightly sweet and actually not bad for you. Using organic honey instead of sugary syrups makes this homemade drink a pretty healthy treat! 

Have fun being your own barista! 

xoxo - Sugar Dame






No comments:

Post a Comment