Friday, June 6, 2014

Healthy Blueberry Buckwheat "Donut" Pancakes (Pan-onuts?)


Hello! Happy Friday and happy National Donut Day! I am such a sucker for all things donut, (especially the sprinkled ones with pink frosting) but because I have been making a conscious effort to eat healthy lately, I decided to make a healthy 'donut inspired' breakfast instead.

I have been hearing a lot about buckwheat pancakes lately, so I decided that today would be a great day to try them! I used the recipe on the back of Bob's Red Mill Buckwheat Pancake Mix (no sugar or butter!) and added some fresh blueberries. For the donut "glaze", I opted for some organic vanilla bean yogurt. I have to admit, I did cave when it came to the sprinkles. There is just no substitute for rainbow sprinkles. For the finishing touch, I drizzled a bit of maple syrup on the top.

For the Buckwheat Pancakes:

  1. Follow the recipe for Buckwheat Pancakes on the back of Bob's Redmill Buckwheat Pancake Mix, or you can substitute your own pancake recipe if desired. 
  2. Cook your pancakes according to the recipe directions on a lightly oiled skillet, but instead of pouring the batter to make a full circle, pour your batter in the shape of an O to resemble a donut. 
  3. Add a few blueberries to the uncooked side of your pancake before flipping.



For the Donut "Glaze"
  1. Spoon some vanilla bean yogurt over the top of your pancakes to look like a glazed donut.
  2. Add a few sprinkles and a drizzle of maple syrup


These pancakes are so yummy and much healthier than a real donut. Lightly sweet, warm and nourishing. In all honesty, I didn't miss eating a real donut at all!

Happy Pan-onut making! (Not going to catch on, is it?)

xoxo - Sugar Dame



No comments:

Post a Comment