Hello! Happy Friday and happy National Donut Day! I am such a sucker for all things donut, (especially the sprinkled ones with pink frosting) but because I have been making a conscious effort to eat healthy lately, I decided to make a healthy 'donut inspired' breakfast instead.
I have been hearing a lot about buckwheat pancakes lately, so I decided that today would be a great day to try them! I used the recipe on the back of Bob's Red Mill Buckwheat Pancake Mix (no sugar or butter!) and added some fresh blueberries. For the donut "glaze", I opted for some organic vanilla bean yogurt. I have to admit, I did cave when it came to the sprinkles. There is just no substitute for rainbow sprinkles. For the finishing touch, I drizzled a bit of maple syrup on the top.
- Follow the recipe for Buckwheat Pancakes on the back of Bob's Redmill Buckwheat Pancake Mix, or you can substitute your own pancake recipe if desired.
- Cook your pancakes according to the recipe directions on a lightly oiled skillet, but instead of pouring the batter to make a full circle, pour your batter in the shape of an O to resemble a donut.
- Add a few blueberries to the uncooked side of your pancake before flipping.
For the Donut "Glaze"
- Spoon some vanilla bean yogurt over the top of your pancakes to look like a glazed donut.
- Add a few sprinkles and a drizzle of maple syrup
These pancakes are so yummy and much healthier than a real donut. Lightly sweet, warm and nourishing. In all honesty, I didn't miss eating a real donut at all!
Happy Pan-onut making! (Not going to catch on, is it?)
xoxo - Sugar Dame