Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Re-purposed Wine Bottle Accent Piece
































I love wine! I never thought I would be much of a wine drinker, but wine and I are getting to know each other pretty well :) Especially red. I wouldn't claim to be a connoisseur quite yet, though. I usually pick my wines by a fun bottle or label that catches my eye. I love the gamble of it (not really much of a gamble...wine is always a win!), and I think it's a fun way to try out new wines.

Drinking of wine aside, the bottles make for a great repurpose project! The bottles are pretty enough on their own, but I love to give things new life after their original duties are fulfilled. This project is simple to do, but really packs a punch. Plus, the method for emptying the bottles is pretty enjoyable.



You will need:

  • Clean, empty wine bottles with the labels removed
  • Matte white spray paint
  • Black acrylic paint (or even a felt tip black sharpie will do)
  • A pencil 
How to:

  1. Soak your empty wine bottles in hot water for about 30 minutes. Once the labels are saturated, they should be pretty easy to remove. If any residue is left over, just scrub it off with a dish scrubber or sponge. Let dry.
  2. Stand the bottles upright, and spray the bottles evenly with spray paint, top to bottom, using a light hand. Hold the spray paint can a few inches from the wine bottles while painting to get more even coverage. Apply a second coat if needed. Allow to dry completely (at least 30 minutes) before the next step.
  3. Using a pencil, lightly sketch a simple design on your bottle. I chose X's and O's in a diagonal pattern, and it turned out pretty cute! 
  4. Trace over your pencil-sketched design using a flat-black acrylic paint. Keep some flat white acrylic close by to touch up little mistakes (hey, it happens!).
  5. Let your design dry and you are ready to display!
Up-cycle to your hearts content!

xoxo - Sugar Dame



No comments:

Post a Comment