Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Painted Table Makeover


Hope everyone survived their Mondays! Today I want to share a little makeover project that makes me especially happy. I'm sure I've said this before, but I love the idea of giving something old, new life. I am a firm believer in recycling, up-cycling and re-vamping. This little table has been in my family home for years and years. I am most fond of this little table, but so used to seeing my dad's typewriter sitting on top, that I almost didn't know where it belonged in my current home. It has sat a bit dusty for a few years, and just recently I decided that it deserved a refresh. I didn't want to completely change it, for sentimental reasons, but knew that a splash of color would bring back its happy.




Here's what I used:
  • Black spray paint
  • Sandpaper
  • Colorful acrylic paints
  • 1" wide paint brush 
  • Paint chipper
  • Soft spunge
  • Painter's tape
  • Waterproof sealant


Here's how I did it:

  1. I started by flipping the table over, and touching up the legs with a matte black spray paint. 
  2. Next, I scraped off some gunk (gum, and other things us kiddos left behind back in the day) using a paint chipper
  3. Once 'de-gunked', I sanded the table top with a course grain sand paper until the original wood was showing through.
  4. I wiped down the top with a slightly damp sponge, to remove any wood dust. Allow to dry before taping.
  5. Using painter's tape, I taped off a diamond shaped design starting from the outside and working my way in. After the design was taped off, I made sure to smooth the tape down firmly to the surface of the tabletop before I began painting. 
  6. I started painting from the inside of the diamond design to the outside, to avoid smudging. Each section needed about 4 total coats of paint to create a bold design, without the original wood showing through. 
  7. I allowed the design to dry for a few days before applying two coats of waterproof sealant. I used a deck sealant with a matte finish. 

This project is probably one of my very favorite to date. I could't be happier with how it turned out!

xoxo 



No comments:

Post a Comment