Monday, November 17, 2014

DIY Soft Glow Globe Lights


There has been this one space in our living room that I have been trying to fill for over a year now. I
left this space on the wall blank for so long because I had this idea in my head that I would put up a lit up sign or something... I just never got around to building one. I was cleaning house and spending a quiet day fixing up our little space, when I'd finally had enough of this blank wall giving me the stink eye. I could totally fill that space with a sort of 'lazy-version' of a marquee sign. Orange string lights from Halloween + some ping-pong (beer pong if I'm being honest) balls + a little imagination = this rad little lit wall decor.



What you'll need:

Ping pong balls
X-acto knife
String lights in any color



How to:

Whether you have a specific shape in mind, or you just want to create a string of soft glow lights, you will need to count out how many lights you want to cover with ping pong balls. I found packs of 6 balls at the Dollar Tree, but you can get them at any sporting goods store and on Amazon.



To fit the balls over the string light bulbs, use an X-acto knife to cut a small 'x' into the ball. The ball should slide right over the bulb and fit pretty securely. Repeat until all the bulbs you want covered are done. If you wanted a string of lights, you're finished (woo-hoo!). If you want to create a shape, like this arrow, you will need some nails or pins, a ruler, and a pencil. Sketch your design on the wall with a light pencil. Place pins or nails around the perimeter of your design. Wrap your lights around the design.



I'm so happy with how this quick alternative turned out, I may just leave it as it is!

xoxo

1 comment:

  1. This would be so awesome to make a marquee sign with! :D

    Thx for the idea!!!

    ReplyDelete