Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Easiest Ever Faux Fireplace


I wasn't sure about sharing this as a DIY project because I didn't take any step-by-step photos...but this is something anyone can do, and it will fit in pretty much any home. I've always loved fireplaces. I grew up in homes with fireplaces, and my mom still hangs a stocking for each of us during the holidays. I really (and I mean really, just ask my husband) wanted a fireplace to hang our stockings at home, and to add a little warmth (warm looking, not feeling) to our living room. I planned and plotted this faux fireplace for weeks. I obsessed over it. I looked up a bunch of tutorials online, but most of them included building one from scratch and using power tools. I'm not opposed to either, but I just didn't have the time.,. or, quite frankly, the patience. I had the idea that I could use a small bookcase, and just remove the shelves. I wanted a wide, sort of squatty bookcase to get the right look, but none were at the right price. I was convinced that I could do this for around $30. Crazy, right? Well, I'm just crazy enough to get it done.



Here's what you need:

  • One small bookcase like the one I used, found at Target by Room Essentials $21.99
  • An array of glass votives, and flameless candles. I got all of mine from the Dollar Tree
How to:

Put the bookcase together, but leave the shelves out. Turn the bookcase on its side, and place the two shelves on the top to create the look of a mantel. Fill with your flameless candles and votives. We used Command Clear Window Hooks to hang our stockings without damaging the bookcase. 


I couldn't be happier with how this turned out. So easy, inexpensive and so pretty!

Happy Holidays!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment