Thursday, December 18, 2014

Merry & Bright Holiday Garland


Happy holidays! I'm so excited to Christmas to get here I might just explode. That may be a tad bit dramatic, yes, but that's how I feel. To be honest, I didn't really feel that into it back in the beginning of December. I felt sort of BAH-HUM-BUG-ish. I think I kind of let the magic of the holidays escape me over the last few years, and I sort of let it just become a normal feeling. One thing in particular I realized I have missed are all of those cute, holiday-time, grade school crafts. I'm not going to apologize for the fact that I love glitter and glue... or for the rush I get by putting a fuzzy nose on a paper Rudolf. I just won't. Real life can be really stressful, so why not enjoy the little things and let yourself get lost in them? I made it my mission to make a really easy, sweet and festive craft to help capture those sentimental feelings of Christmas' past.




Here's whatcha' need:
  • 12 small, gold paper party plates ( I used left-overs from Thanksgiving. Way to re-purpose, right?! Three for me!)
  • A marker
  • Letter stencils if you don't trust your free-hand abilities
  • String
  • A single hole punch
  • Scissors
  • Exacto knife


How to:

  1. Draw or stencil one letter on the face of each plate: M E R R Y & B R I G H T
  2. Cut the letters out with a pair of scissors, and use an exacto knife to cut out the centers in the Rs and B.
  3. Using a single hole punch, punch two holes in the top corners of each letter.
  4. Weave string through the top (like the string is diving in) hole, and back up through the second hole on each letter. This way the string will create a line in the back of each letter and not cover the front. (TIP: leave the string on the spool, and cut free after you are sure you have space for each letter.)
  5. Arrange the letters so you can easily read each word. Leave space between each new word. 
  6. Once everything is arranged, cut the string off of the spool last. This ensures you will have enough string to leave at each end to hang.
  7. Hang it up!







So easy, pretty and inexpensive! You can make this in any color, and even add some sparkle.


Happy Holiday-ing!

xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment