Friday, January 16, 2015

Adventures in Eating: Dinette


It's no secret that I love food. Food and I have a great relationship, and are very happy together. My favorite genres of food are breakfast and dessert... and because I'm a perpetually late riser, brunch has also become a close friend of mine. When I heard about Dinette in Echo Park, my taste buds started tingling. The menu is chock full of breakfast favorites, and sweets treats that are some magical and nonsensical combination of simple and fancy. Friendly staff slinging handcrafted coffee, housed in a bright walk-up with a window full of enticing desserts.



I ordered the waffle with poached egg and bacon. I don't eat meat, so I can't attest for how the bacon tasted, but it looked amazing and smelled like brown sugar. Needless to say, I was tempted. The reason I ordered this version of waffle over others on the menu was for the poached egg. I love eggs, and this particular egg was no exception. The perfect poached egg: soft and silky on the outside, with the yolk cooked just enough to not be runny. It cut through like warm butter. Now the waffle... quite possibly the best waffle I have ever had. When I got home and ripped the lid off, I noticed that something was missing. There was no little container of syrup to drown my waffle in. I threw my caution to the wind and took a bite. That sweet maple and warm buttery flavor that makes my waffle world go round, seemed to be built right in! It was soft and fluffy, and paired perfectly with the savory poached egg. YUM.


The avocado toast was composed of a thick slice of crunchy bread, piled high with ripe chunks and simply seasoned. Perfection. I fell for my latte before I even had a sip because of the paper straw. I am a sucker for straws (was that a pun?).  Paper, colorful, bendy... they're just fun. My latte was smooth and creamy with great flavor. The double chocolate cookie was packed with deep, dark chocolate flavor, studded with cool chocolate chunks and topped with sea salt.



I will definitely be returning to try the rest of the menu. Until then, I hope to discover some more local gems and continue sharing my adventures in eating as a regular series of posts :D 

Dinette 
1608 1/2 Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90026

Live in the LA area? What are some of your favorite spots? 

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment