Monday, April 20, 2015

Cookie Bars, Two Ways


Okay... I'm about to say something I can't take back. Chocolate chip cookies are my all-time favorite dessert. I know, I know! I'm a cake baker. I live for all things buttercream... but show me a warm, gooey-middled, perfectly chipped cookie and I'm done for. Further more, give me a spoonful (or a bowl) of chocolate chip cookie dough and I might just go to pieces. This is probably why I rarely bake them. I have a problem. This past weekend, I got the itch. I was daydreaming cookies so hard, I could taste them.  My hands were probably trembling, but I was gripping my phone so hard looking for a new recipe that I didn't take notice. I came across a gooey photo that made me want to lick the screen, so I followed it to the recipe below. Of course, I made a few tweaks and tossed in a few additions to make it my own, but this cookie bar recipe is GOLD...err BLONDE.



Adapted from Smitten Kitchen Blondies

Blondie Base

2 sticks of butter, melted
1 1/2 cups light brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. sea salt, plus more for sprinkling
2 cups all purpose flour
Smooth peanut butter
Chocolate covered pretzels


Butter or spray two 8x8 baking pans. Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees. Beat together melted butter and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in eggs, and vanilla. Add in salt and flour, but don't fully incorporate. Add in one bag of chocolate chips, stir with a wooden spoon until flour and chips are fully incorporated. Half the batter/dough evenly, and smooth into both of your prepared pans. Sprinkle one with sea salt. For the remaining half, dollop small spoonfuls of peanut battter randomly on top of the dough, using your finger to gently push it into the dough. Break up some chocolate covered pretzels and sprinkle on top. Bake both for 20-25 minutes. (It's ok if the dough seems a little gooey in the middle. It will set a bit once cooled.) Cool completely before cutting into squares.



It's taking every ounce of discipline I have to not get up and eat one right this minute.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment