Monday, August 24, 2015

Breakfast Cheesecake Parfaits


Monday, again? How does this keep happening?! You can beat the 'new work week' blues by shaking up your normal (and boring) breakfast routine. This healthy, yes healthy, dessert-like breakfast parfait is easy to make, plus you can customize the flavor and take it to-go. I had a hardcore hankering for no-bake cheesecake, but I didn't have the necessary ingredients: cream cheese, graham cracker, etc. Being a girl who is determined to get what she wants, especially when it comes to satiating my hunger, I dove into the fridge to see what I could improvise with. On hand, I had plain Greek yogurt, raw oats, raw honey, coconut spread, and fresh raspberries. I challenged myself to create a healthy version of no-bake cheesecake and *spoiler alert* I nailed it. The crust, which is always my favorite part of cheesecake, is amazing. The Greek yogurt 'cheesecake' is sweet, and tangy, and the raspberry topping puts the usual strawberry-swirl to shame. Here's how you can make your own:


Ingredients:

For the crust
1/2 cup raw oats
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
Spoonful of coconut spread (you can use coconut oil if you want)
1 tblsp. raw honey

For the filling:
1 cup Greek yogurt (I used full fat, but adapt to your preference)
1 tblsp. raw honey

For the fruit topping:
12-15 fresh raspberries, or fruit of choice (I'm sure frozen fruit would work just as well)
1 tblsp. honey


Instructions:

In a blender, food processor or Magic Bullet (my fave), blend together raw oats, cinnamon, nutmeg, coconut spread and honey. Pulse until a fine crumb has formed. It will lump together a bit. Divide evenly among two half-pint mason jars, and press into the bottom of the jar. Set aside.

In a separate bowl, mix together the Greek yogurt and honey until combined. Divide evenly into both mason jars, topping your oat crust. Store in the fridge while you complete the next step.

In a small sauce pot, heat raspberries and honey on low heat, smashing as they heat to create a simple compote, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, and let cool completely before topping the Greek yogurt. You can dollop a bit of Greek yogurt on top, and garnish with a whole raspberry if desired.

You can make these ahead in a variety of flavors, and store in the fridge for a quick grab and go breakfast or snack!



Have a great week,

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment