Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Breakfast Salad


I love breakfast foods. It is my preference to start the day with something sweet: pancakes, waffles, french toast, donuts... you know, the good-for-you stuff (ha!). For this reason, my most-loved lunch meal is a nice, big salad. It all balances out in the end, right? Well, I woke up one morning this week thinking that I might try shaking things up a bit, so I made salad for breakfast. I know, it sounds weird right? That's what I thought too, but if you do it right, it's actually really tasty. Hey, and now you can have something sweet for lunch... ooh that reminds me, there's a piece of chocolate cake in the fridge with my name on it.


Ingredients:

Arugula
Roasted beets
One egg
Mozzarella or goat cheese
Olive oil
Cracked pepper (and salt, if desired)

Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a skillet, over low heat. Toss in some fresh arugula, until wilted. Remove from heat, and plate. Dice some roasted beets, canned or packaged (Trader Joes whole roasted beets are great) and set aside. Crack a sunny-side-up egg into the same oiled skillet, toss in the diced beets, and cover with a lid to cook for about 1 minute. Remove the lid, and sprinkle with some mozzarella or goat cheese. Cover and continue cooking until cheese is melted. Plate the egg, beets, and cheese onto your bed of wilted arugula. Drizzle with a little extra olive oil if desired, and sprinkle with fresh ground pepper and salt to taste.


Enjoy this new way to eat salad!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment