Monday, September 7, 2015

Homemade Nutella (Vegan, too!)


Happy Monday! Who couldn't use a giant spoonful of happy on a Monday? Luckily, this is a spoonful of happy that you can feel really good about because of the wholesome ingredients. Everyone I know pretty much has a love/hate relationship with nutella, the creamy dreamy hazelnut and chocolate dream-team spread. It's delicious and addicting, but some of the ingredients might leave one feeling a little iffy about that 10th middle-of-the-night spoonful. My 'maybe-not' moment happened when I was standing right in front of a giant-sized jar of nutella at Target, trying to decide if I really needed that much temptation in the house (at that moment, I really, really did). I've become one of those people who stand in the aisle reading the nutrition labels, weighing how much added salt, sugar and 'what-the-heck-is-that?' ingredients are on the list to see what I can live with. That's when I pull out the cell phone to google a diy option with simple ingredients. I walked away from that jar so fast, I almost left my shoes behind! Making your own nutella is so simple, I'm a little upset. I could have been enjoying the fruits of my own labor (or rather the labor of my blender) for years! What I'm trying to say is, don't waste another minute. There are hazelnuts and chocolate out there waiting to make some magic.


From the Minimalist Baker

Ingredients:

3 cups roasted, unsalted hazelnuts (Trader Joe's sells a great bag!)
2/3 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate (use dairy free for a vegan version)
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. sea salt

Directions:

Blend your hazelnuts in a power blender or food processor until smooth and creamy. In a double-boiler or a heat proof bowl suspended over a pot with hot water in the bottom, melt your chocolate until smooth. Stir in vanilla and sea salt. Pour into your smooth, creamy hazelnut spread and blend together until combined. Store in a mason jar for up to 3 weeks (if it lasts that long!).



Think about all the flavor possibilities! You can add cinnamon, a little spice, try a white chocolate version! I'd love to hear all your flavor combo ideas!

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment