Friday, November 13, 2015

Magic Pumpkin Cake


Happy friggin' Fridayyyy! In celebration of the weekend and the month of all things pumpkin, I thought it would be fun to share an easy, pretty and super yummy pumpkin dessert. This is my first time trying a 'magic cake' recipe, and it did not disappoint! A few years ago I decided to set a seasonal personal goal to try to make a new variation on my faaave pumpkin pie. I've made a pumpkin pie with chocolate chip crust, pumpkin cheesecake, pumpkin pie with rosemary, etc. This year I had it in my brain to make a crust-less version, and serve it with homemade graham crackers and spiked whipped cream... until I stumbled on this recipe. This is a cross between crust-less pumpkin pie, cake, and a custard, so technically... I win. This would be totally delicious with homemade graham and spiked whip. YES!


Magic Pumpkin Cake
Adapted from Foodness Gracious

Ingredients:
  • ½ cup unsalted butter
  • 2 cups milk
  • 4 eggs, separated
  • 1 cup confectioners sugar
  • 1 tbsp water
  • 1 cup white wheat flour
  • 1 cup pumpkin, canned
  • 2 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp vanilla bean paste
Directions:

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Generously butter an 8 inch round cake pan or 8 x 8 square cake pan, set aside. Melt the butter and set aside. With a hand or standing electric mixer, whip the egg whites to stiff peaks, and transfer to a separate bowl. Set aside. Beat the egg yolks and sugar until pale and light, and then mix in the melted butter and water until combined. Add the flour and mix until smooth before beating in the milk and vanilla. Add the pumpkin and pumpkin spice and whisk until smooth. Slowly add the egg whites ½ at a time, mixing on low to gently combine until smooth. Pour the batter into the prepared pan, and set the pan on a baking tray. Bake for 45-50 min.
The top will be a bit jiggly, but it will set as it cools. Don't fret when the cake starts to sink, leaving a crust around the edges. That's supposed to happen! Cool completely before slicing into squares and dusting with some confectioners sugar for a pretty effect!




*I used white wheat flour instead of all purpose because that's what I had on hand. I was happy with the result, and happy to make the dessert a little more wholesome. I imagine that the top of the cake would be a bit crustier with white flour, so I would like to try it next time and see. I also used only 1 cup of powdered sugar (I forgot the extra 1/4 cup!), but it was plenty sweet. I also dusted both cocoa powder and powdered sugar on top before serving!




What's your favorite holiday dessert??

Happy Holidays!

xoxo



No comments:

Post a Comment