Friday, July 1, 2016

Lightened Up Ice Cream Sandwiches



Happy Friday! I recently discovered the happiness that is Arctic Zero ice cream. If you haven't yet had the pleasure, then get your buns out to get some! Not only is this ice cream delicious, it's packed with protein, fiber, and it's only 150-160 calories per pint! PER PINT! I've only had one flavor so far, Cookie Shake, but I am impressed. I mean, I've had "healthy" ice cream before, but it has never been this creamy! Anyway, I had made some cookies just the other day and a few turned out too flat for my liking. Not being one to waste a cookie, I decided that I would help them fulfill their destiny as ice cream sandwiches! These cookies are less junkie than other cookies (no butter or refined sugar), so when you add some Arctic Zero it's basically health food.... right? Right.


The cookie recipe I used is from Averie Cooks. I just added some chopped chocolate. To get cookies that are a bit flat, just mold them into little disks before chilling.

Once the cookies are baked and cooled, match the cookies up according to size to make the most uniform cookie sandwiches. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and stick it in the freezer.   Set your ice cream out to soften for 10 minutes, and then scoop onto one of each of your "matched-up" cookies. Place the cookie mate on top and form the ice cream if any spills out the sides. Place in the freezer to firm up while you make the chocolate coating.


Chocolate Coating:

Coconut Oil
Dark Chocolate

I didn't measure anything out exactly, so depending on how many ice cream sandwiches you are making, you may need to adjust the ingredients. To give you and idea, I made 4 ice cream sandwiches, and used 2 large chunks of dark chocolate and about 1 tblsp. of coconut oil. If you make too much (that's not a thing) then, oh well, you'll have to eat it. Melt the coconut oil in the microwave until the chocolate is melted and all is melted together smoothly. Dip your prepared ice cream sandwiches in the chocolate coating and place on the cookie sheet with parchment. Drizzle extra chocolate on top and add sprinkles or other toppings if desired. Let chill for at least 1 hour before serving. YUM!



xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment