Saturday, October 15, 2016

Flourless Banana 'Buff-cakes" with Protein Frosting


I used to bake cupcakes for a living... or well a part of my living. I baked and sold cupcakes for years, and worked my way up to catering for weddings and events. It's during that time that I realized I was totally burnt out on baking and totally over those almost daily sugar highs. I credit all that baking, and tasting, for turning me on to becoming a health and wellness enthusiast. I always felt so awful after a long day of baking, every inch of me coated in powdered sugar. Thinking back on that now, it makes my teeth hurt. Now, I'm not saying that I don't indulge in the occasional sweet. I have a major sweet tooth, but now I steer clear of candy (except good dark chocolate) and I am much more conscious of what I put into my homemade treats. I have become a huge fan of oat flour instead of traditional flours, and banana as a natural sweetener. These cupcakes, which I have affectionately dubbed "buff-cakes" include both of my new friends, plus some refined-sugar free frosting made with Vega protein powder. Plus, they are bite-sized, making for the perfect guilt-free treat.


Ingredients:

1 ripe banana
1/2 cup natural peanut butter
1/4 cup grade B real maple syrup or honey
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 cup oat flour
coconut oil spray for greasing the mini muffin tin

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix mashed banana, peanut butter, maple or honey, vanilla and egg in a standing mixer until creamy. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients before mixing into the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Divide the batter into your prepared muffin tin (sprayed with coconut oil spray) and bake for 12-15 minutes. ** Be careful not to over-bake or they will be dry! Remove from the tin and transfer to a cooling rack while you prepare the frosting.

Protein Frosting:

1/4 cup creamy natural peanut butter
1/2 scoop vanilla Vega protein powder
2 tblsp. cocoa powder
2 tblsp. almond milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 tblsp. grade B real maple

Mix peanut butter, cocoa and protein powder until combined. Add in the milk, vanilla and maple and whip until fluffy. Dollop over cooled cupcakes and adorn with fresh berries.



** A couple of notes: I have not tried substituting other nut butters, but I'm sure that these would turn out wonderfully with substitutions! Also, you can definitely use mini cupcake wrappers if you'd like instead of greasing the pan, but I just think the wrappers will slow you down when trying to pop these babies in yo mouth ;]

xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment